Any instrument from software maestro Urs Heckmann seems worth a mention. This one, doubly so: it’s free.
Podolski isn’t new; it has made appearances through the years in the excellent German-language magazine KEYBOARDS (no relation to the US Keyboard). But now, it’s available for everyone, with some nice updates and modernization and versions for just about any Mac or Windows host (or Linux, via WINE).
Now, even if we’re talking only free plug-ins, there are a lot of virtual analog synths out there. But this one is special: it’s got the great sound of FilterscapeVA, and waveform morphing and short “Click” filter attacks.
- One oscillator, one filter, one envelope, two LFOs (though sometimes just those kinds of restrictions – rare in software – can be nice)
- Arpeggiator/sequencer, as seen in Zebra
- Chorus effect
- Delay effect
- Click parameter for short filter attacks
- Three waveform morphing with WaveWarp
- New presets by Howard Scarr
- New skins (brown and blue)
- New English-language manual
- Mac: VST2, VST3 or AU, 32- and 64-bit
- Windows: VST2 or VST3, 32- and 64-bit
- Automatic installer for Mac and Windows
Thanks to Jan OS on the Facebook Synth Experts Group for the tip!
Here’s a look at that arp and some of the other features packed into this gem: