What would happen if Traktor DJ and a KAOSS Pad had a love child, who went to school at Ableton and came home full of automation envelopes and triggers? Well, maybe something like this. Certainly, the results would be a DJ tool the likes of which only FL “Fruity Loops” Studio maker Image Line would dream up, in a demo video only they would make.
It’s beta 2 of Deckadance, the underdog Mac/Windows DJ app that’s surprisingly full of functionality. And while this isn’t the first DJ software to do sampling and effects, those features are now tied to some powerful automation and envelope features we haven’t seen in a conventional multi-deck DJ tool. They also accompany a KAOSS-style, X/Y multi-effects VST plug-in that users of other hosts might want separately.
Oh, yeah – VST. It does VST. Got your attention, Traktor users? Read on.
Features – just quoting here, as they’re nicely described:
- Decks – 2 or 4 decks.
- Smartknobs – Link a knob to multiple FX & Mixer interface targets. User-programmable envelopes.
- GrossBeat – 8 user defined FX per deck with integrated editor. Program glitch, stutter & scratch FX.
- Isolator Effects – Up to 3 insert effects per track (from 10) applied independently to High/Mid or Low band.
- Sampler – 1/32 to 16 step beat-matched easy sampling. One shot, trigger, retrigger and loop modes.
- Smart Panels – User configurable Loop, Cue, Grid, DVS, Key, Smart Knob and Tempo panels.
- VST host & client – Hosts VST plugins. Includes Effector VST plugin.
- Library – iTunes library support. Play lists and automated mixing options.
Being able to chain, automate, and add effects to parameters and effects to me is the main draw. And some of this UI/panel customization is nice, too, a bit like the iPad DJ app from TouchAble with the unpronounceable name you can’t spell.
As far as how this stacks up against the competition, my feeling is that, even though you tried to help her, your love was useless and she carried on. And as we wait for the beta, she couldn’t tell you the burden was heavy enough alon–*
Sorry, dozed off for a second. I may have watched that video too many times. Hmmm…
Even though you wanted plug-ins, your love was useless and Traktor said no. And Ableton said seeing side-by-side waveforms couldn’t work; the UI burden was heavy enough with one.
Man, I’d better not go out in Berlin tonight…
Yes, this beta looks worth checking out. Let us know what you think.