When the original Gestrument came out it was a revelation. Gestrument was a unique way of creating music that was truly accessible to anyone, and without being patronising, or limiting at all. That wasn’t an easy accomplishment. It was hard. Building on it was always going to be a really tall order, but I think that they’ve actually pulled it off.
I’ve only been trying out Gestrument Pro for a couple of days, but even so my first impressions are excellent and I don’t think that I’ve scratched the surface of what it is capable of. From that perspective it is incredibly exciting.
Play, improvise and compose in real-time within a framework of interactive generative musical systems.
Award-winning composer Jesper Nordin and leading iOS developer Jonatan Liljedahl (Kymatica) has completely re-invented their unique app from 2012 and taken the concept to the next level.
Gestrument Pro takes everything we loved about Gestrument and improves on its original functionality while introducing a host of new features such as multi-touch, recordable automations, advanced scale editing and our unique system of highly tweakable modular generators that define the pitches and rhythms.
With Gestrument Pro you can Play, Improvise and Compose music with deeper levels of personal expression than ever before.
The original Gestrument had pretty amazing depth to it and yet you could play it in just a few seconds. My initial impression of Gestrument Pro is that the same is going to be true, but perhaps even more so. Over the next few days I’ll be spending more time with this app and digging in to find the depths. So expect and update, and with any luck before Gestrument Pro gets released into the wild. For now, here’s what to expect …
- Up to 16 individual Instruments.
- Each Instrument can be controlled by any of up to 8 Cursors.
- Instruments can use internal high quality sounds or play other synthesizers or apps via MIDI.
- Modular swappable Generators for producing the rhythms and pitches per Instrument, each with their own set of tweakable parameters and settings.
- 8 performance sliders that each can control one or more parameters in the Instruments and their Generators.
- A highly flexible modulation system allows assigning Sliders and Cursor position/pressure to any parameter in the Instruments.
- Advanced microtonal Scale editor with several standard scales included.
- 8 Scale Slots for fast switching between scales and tonalities during performance.
- Sliders, Cursors and Scale Slots can be recorded into automated loops, or controlled via MIDI.
- Supports Inter-App Audio and Audiobus, including host sync for following the hosts transport and tempo.
Gestrument Pro launches on the 25th of September, but you can pre-order now at half price for just $8.99