Let’s be clear: Korg’s ARP Odyssey remake is a thing of beauty. But it’s now also available as an app … one with awkward spelling that’s nonetheless rather awesome looking. Meet ARP ODYSSEi. (Hey, that “i” has been on the beginning of words for eons now. Maybe it wants to flip to the other side.)
ODYSSEi is a modeled version of the ARP Odyssey. And it’s a bit like an “Odyssey+”.
It’s got the three filter types and drive from the new 2015 Odyssey reboot (the hardware).
But iOS brings other features:
- Voice assign mode – with chord playback
- Arpeggiator with programmable steps
- Inter App Audio
- AU support (works in GarageBand)
- Works inside Korg’s Gadget app (via Lexington)
- Distortion, phaser, chorus/flanger/ensemble, EQ, delay, reverb effects
- MIDI, including Bluetooth MIDI
- Touch controls: a virtual keypad and X/Y pad with scale function
There are 100 presets from the revision 3 (2015) Odyssey, plus 50 each of the first and second revision models as in-app purchase.
And of course that comes with cute retro skins. (Would I buy the different in-app preset packs for the different skins, even if I didn’t plan to use the presets? Yup. Guilty.)
And here’s a test from the awesome thesoundtestroom:
Now, one surprise: it requires iOS 10. And more recent-model iOS devices are supported, though that still covers a wide gamut.
US$19.99, this month only.