If you’ve never had a moment when you’ve run out of musical inspiration then you are truly unique. It happens to me a lot, but then perhaps that says more about me. Now, Fortamento is here to help with that problem.
Using Fortamento you can get instant musical ideas at a push of a button. The app is described as a simple and effective music idea creator, capable of generating 4 bars of chord progression and melody, with the option to edit the idea and save the results.
If you want to take that idea forward then there’s an option to export the tunes as MIDI files for further work in your favorite Digital Audio Workstation software or MIDI sequencer, and ideally you might even develop that idea in iOS.
For me, Fortamento has the potential to be a really useful addition to my workflow, and could find itself getting a lot of use.
Here are the key features of Fortamento:
- MIDI file export
- Tempo / key control
- Manual editing
- Save tunes
- Various instrument sounds
- MIDI output (beta)
Since it’s launched Fortamento has had two updates. The first update brought:
- Larger font for list menu items (let us know if we went too far with this one!)
- Fixed a bug where sharing midi file from Favorites would send a tune from the main editor
- Minor algorithm improvements
The second update brought:
- Chords can be manually changed now by tapping on the chord
- Saved tunes can be brought back to editing
- Updated Chords and Instruments sounds
- Option to mute Chords, Melody or both – there is now an “Off” option for Chords and Melody instruments.
- Shake to go back to previously generated idea – for these accidental extra taps after you hear a good idea!
- MIDI Output (beta) – currently supports internal and Bluetooth MIDI – let us know if you find any issues!
- Other minor algorithm improvements and bug fixes
Fortamento is on the app store for iPhone, and costs $4.99: