VirSyn have brought us some pretty amazing iOS apps over the last few years. They’ve consistently delivered highly usable and well thought out iOS apps that I know many people rely on for their work on a daily basis.
Here’s what’s VirSyn have to say about their latest app:
AudioLayer satisfies the most sought after gap for contemporary music production on iOS devices. AudioLayer is a full featured open standard audio multi-sampler pushing the boundaries beyond what has been available even in the desktop music production worlds. And all this integrated in all relevant iOS production environments especially the emerging AUv3 AudioUnit standard.
SSE – Streaming Sample Engine
The ultra efficient Streaming Sample Engine SSE is capable of playing hundreds of voices of big multi-sampled instruments even in strictly resource limited applications like using multiple instances of AudioLayer in AudioUnit host environments. Innovative features like Sub Sample Looping for perfect loops even in the audible range extend the range of applications even further.
Perfect iCloud integration*
The consequent usage of the open file structure of the Files app makes organising even large sample libraries a breeze. Sample recordings and Instrument designs made with AudioLayer are seamlessly available across all your devices and desktop. Even more this opens up new forms of collaborations with musicians all around the world to share your creations and work together.
Multi Scope Editing
To support the creation of complex multi-sampled instruments AudioLayer allows you to use a hierarchical structure of Layers and Zones each with it’s own sound manipulation parameters. A unique element of AudioLayer is the possibility to decide for each Zone at which Scope level your editing apply: For the all Zones in the Instrument, for the Layer only or individually for this Zone only. This opens a whole new world of creative options for sound mangling. For sound manipulation you can use a full set of Filters, Envelopes and LFOs to shape the pitch, timbre and level of the sound of each Zone.
SIS – Seamless Instrument Switching
The unique architecture of the Streaming Sample Engine allows for instant loading of even complex instruments and makes this switching from one Instrument to the next without cutting off the sound! And this includes of course also different effect setting
Easy Design Workflow
The built in audio sample recorder let you create Instruments on the fly in seconds. The Music Effect AudioUnit / Audiobus effect plugin of AudioLayer let you record multi-samples semi automatically directly inside your preferred host and instantly create an Instrument with the help of several Auto mapping options available. This includes file name based mapping of key ranges and velocities and automatic pitch detection. For the creatives we’ve also integrated a special “Single Cycle Waveform” detector making the use of this special files a breeze.
- Multisample mapping with Layers and Zones
- Instrument / Layer / Zone hierarchical structure
- Unlimited layers per instrument
- Unlimited zones per layer
- 7 groups per Zone (e.g. for drums)
- unique Zone parameter inheritance in hierarchical structure
- Seamless Instrument switching (already playing voices of previously selected instrument are not cut off)
- Instant sharing with Mac computer via iCloud Drive
- Polyphonic and legato monophonic modes.
- Hi performance sample engine for hundreds of voices
- Hi quality resample engine using B-spline sample interpolation.
- Copy functions for Zones and complete Layers.
- Glitch free editing of loop points for creative (ab-)use
- Mix Layers for sound stacking
- Morph Layers via ModWheel
- Random / Round robin selection of layers
- Release trigger layer selection
- Key range (with overlap fading)
- Velocity range (with overlap fading)
- Overlap fading selectable linear or equal power algorithm
- Automatic root key analyser
- Automatic key mapping of imported samples
- Pitch / Volume / Pan
- Volume envelope / lfo
- Pitch envelope / lfo
- Filter envelope / lfo
- Reference to Sample ( one sample can be used in many zones )
- Sample start / end point
- Sample loop mode / markers / fade
- Sub Sample loop range for precise tuning
- Loop modes one shot, normal, normal with fade and alternate
- Release loop mode
- VCF / VCA /3 LFO/ 3 ADSR per Zone with scope inheritance
- Different filter types Hi/Lo/Bandpass 24 / 12 dB
Sample management features
- Open file structure layout in iCloud drive or local
- No limit for sample size
- Streaming samples to remove RAM load
- Seven studio standard effects concurrently usable
- Oversampled distortion with four different algorithms for antialiased sound.
- Lowpass / Highpass / Bandpass parametric equalizer
- 8 pole analog Phaser
- Four line stereo chorus
- Stereo/Ping-Pong delay with glitch free delay time change
- Hi end reverberation unit
- A couple of Demo instruments and samples included
- stand alone App
- AUv3 AudioUnit Instrument and Music Effect
- Inter App Audio
- Audiobus 3 support with state saving
- Audio recorder with share function
- Ableton Link compatible
AudioLayer is on the app store now and costs $14.99