Bram Bos brings out yet another innovative AUv3 effect to put into your host. Perforator lets you add rhythm to simple sustained sounds, which is something that I’ve been hoping would arrive on the iOS scene for a while now.
The app is a rhythmic gating audio effect that will creatively snip, cut, gap and filter incoming audio to create rhythmic patterns out of your pads, strings, drones or any other audio stream you decide to feed through it.
By tuning the slice envelopes you can create anything from classic staccato “trance gate” sounds to emulations of sloppy pumping sidechain compression.
Two gating mechanisms can be dialled in: an AMP EG gate (the traditional way of gating) and a 12dB/Oct lowpass filter which will rapidly carve away high frequencies from your sound to effectively silence them.
- AUv3 Audio Effect, works in all AU compatible hosts
- automatically syncs with your project’s tempo
- edit Left an Right channel independently
- built-in preset manager with a ton of factory presets
- all AU Parameters exposed for host automation
- Universal: works on iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch
- Bonus Feature: AU MIDI output*
Perforator requires iOS10 (iPad 4, iPhone 5S, iPod 6G and higher) and an AU compatible host app. Perforator has standalone functionality with basic IAA and Audiobus 3 support for demonstration purposes only. Using the AUv3 plugin is recommended.
* AU MIDI: both envelopes (L+R) can send their values out as MIDI CC messages to mimic ‘parameter lock’ messages in other plugins/apps. Note: this feature requires iOS11+ and a host compatible with AU MIDI from effects.
Perforator costs just $3.99 on the app store now