The Take 5 is something special – all the goodness of the Sequential range in one balanced, affordable, compact package. And now the polysynth for the rest of us adds a ton of sounds and sound features, like envelope repeat, LFO slew, tuning choices, Lo-Fi effect, and more in a free update.
There’s a lot in this OS release, earning that 2.0 moniker:
- 128 new presets
- 8 new sound bank locations for a total of 512 memory slots
- Envelope Repeat for both envelopes (so you can make rhythmic and evolving sounds)
- LFO slew for both LFO 1 and 2
- Lo-Fi Effect (wow, flutter, playback head azimuth, tape drive in one effect)
- Oscillator 2 filter bypass
- Scale – 65 preset alternatives for tuning
- Route modulations to Vintage Amt (okay so between this and Lo-Fi, you can get very gauzy and shoegaze-y)
- Foot pedal control of the sequencer
It’s all some great stuff, and shows Sequential’s ongoing commitment to their terrific instruments.
If you buy something from a retail link, CDM may earn a commission.
My only gripe here is that it appears they didn’t implement complete tuning support as on some other Sequential instruments (OB-6 and Prophet-6); you have only a selection of fixed tuning presets. There are a few of them, though, with descriptions in the manual – those presets are downloadable as SysEx along with the new factory banks. See here:
New features are in the addendum:
But the alternative tunings are detailed in the manual itself:
And it is a decent selection, with various tunings from Wendy Carlos’ gamma to one Javanese/Balinese slendro tuning, plus – this is the crucial part – precise notes about each tuning’s source (with footnotes, basically). See Appendix F of the manual.