Bang Means Do It Software have been bringing us interesting apps with their FS Reverser Delay, FS FreezeVerb, and now the FS Refraktor, a new and innovative new flanger effect. According to the developer FS Refraktor is a twist on modulation effects, inspiring the exploration of new sonic territory, which is a big claim to say the least. They see the app as sitting somewhere between a delay and a flanger, and that it offers seemingly endless possibilities, from rhythmic flanging to chaotic pitch modulation and unpredictable stuttering.
FS Refraktor also features a highly flexible sixteen step sequencer and LFO. Both of which allow you to rhythmically warp your sounds. According to the developer this can make standard drums beats become bleeping basslines and synths can gain a mind of their own, generating melodies from thin air. The sequencer’s Slew control varies the speed at which the delay time changes, low settings produce sudden jarring variations while higher settings transition smoothly between delay times. Of course if you bypass the sequencer, FS Refraktor will add metallic overtones and strange resonances to your sounds, similar to a short, reflective reverb.
Carve Revolutionary Sounds
The dedicated filter section makes it simple to sculpt your sound. Select from a range of versatile filter types: Low Pass, High Pass, Band Pass, Notch and FS Refraktor’s unique Carve mode.
- Delay section with delay time, feedback, modulation and mix controls
- A highly customizable sequencer for rhythmic modulation of the delay time
- Slew control to vary the speed of delay time changes.
- A versatile filter section with Low Pass, High Pass, Band Pass, Notch and Carve filter options
- Stereo spread control for creating wide out of phase sounds.
- Runs as both a standalone app and an AUv3 extension
- Ability to save presets when run as an AUv3 extension
FS Refraktor costs $6.99 on the app store now: